Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time:45 minutes
Serve with baguette and garnish.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, washed and finely chopped
- 500g red lentils
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 litres of vegetable stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp onion granules
- 1 tsp celery salt
- White pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil, fry the onion for 2-3 minutes until soft but without colour.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for a further 4 minutes so they are all soft.
- Add the lentil and stir for 1 minute, then add the tinned tomatoes, stock, bouquet garni, garlic granules, onion granules, and celery salt.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are almost soft.
- Blend ¾ of the soup, you should have a thin soup with some lentils and vegetables. Add extra water to get correct consistency if needed.
- Check and season with white pepper to taste.
Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a baguette.
Extra Garnish ideas:
- Bacon Bits
- Grated cheese
- Flavoured oils
- Crispy onions
- Yoghurt and smoked paprika